Tuesday, March 18, 2014

People Just Say Stuff



Many people who have ultimately escaped from the tyranny of ignorance have had so hard a fight and so long a time of repression that in the end they are embittered and their energy is impaired. In general, there is too much respect paid to the opinions of others. One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
- Bertrand Russell

"People think too much about the opinions others form of them; although this opinion is not essential to happiness...What goes on in other people's consciousness is a matter of indfference to us; and in time we get really indifferent to it, when we come to see how superficial and futile are most people's thoughts, how narrow their ideas, how mean their sentiments, how perverse their opinions, how much of error there is in most of them...We shall understand that to lay great value upon what other people say is to pay them too much honor."
 - Arthur Schopenhauer



I've been thinking about this post for awhile as I really take in the various memes and sayings of the average person and society and how much they contradict reality.

Here are some examples:
  • You always have a choice
  • Life is a gift
  • God loves us
  • You can do anything you put your mind to
  • God is in control
  • ... was better back in the good old days
  • Etc, etc (please add your own in the comments)
In accordance with the quotes above and my own personal experience, I no longer take the vast majority of what people say seriously. Most people aren't really thinking when they speak and if you asked them "why?" they couldn't begin to answer.

Don't take it personally.

Thanks for the great advice Russell and I'm doing my best to put it into practice.

 

8 comments:

  1. People just throw up stuff, they don´t care. Frankly it is all absurd.

    How are you chickpositive?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I´m not okay

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc#aid=P8c2mDN5U_Q

      ;)

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Examples:
    ーThat's crazy!
    ーLife is good.
    ーThe human mind is very powerful.
    ーAll things are connected.
    ーSee the world as a amazing miracle.

    It took me years to finally understand that language is the devil. It is a defect. I think almost every person trusts language and says things which they think are easy to understand. But, it seems to me that words are empty without understanding the motivations behind them, and what others understand them to mean. And, even when we do understand what others mean....the meaning itself seems empty....

    When I read Waiting for Godot and Endgame (among other Theater of the Absurd plays), I got a strong sense that I was in those plays....that when I talked to others I couldn't understand really what they were trying to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Language is the devil."

      That says it all.

      Thank you for commenting. :)

      Delete
    2. You are quite welcome. I like your blog!!

      And, I suppose I do it too (believing in language and using lots of (too many) words)!!

      You said, "That says it all." ー maybe I could have just said, "Language is the devil." and bean done with it? (◎__☉;)~~LOL

      Delete
  3. Every wise saying has another wise saying that contradicts it.

    -Good things come to those who wait vs opportunity only strikes once

    There are a bunch of others that I cannot remember right now. But ya, there's so many sayings that people pretend that they believe like, Health is more important than money. Yet, everyone works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week but never eat healthy or exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loathe the platitude (though I do like a good turn of phrase, but that's besides the point). I knew someone who I'm unsure has had any original thoughts or core convictions. She would bounce back and forth between opinions and back up her (eternally wavering) decisions/beliefs with these types of nonsense sayings. It was very frustrating. Nothing was stable within her. It's like she needed these platitudes in order to form an opinion.

    ReplyDelete